Santa Cruz trek: a few days in the mountains.

I had to get away from the city and those mountains with their dominance over Huaraz's skyline beckon my attention. Steph wasn't up to an elevated multi-day hike so we elected to pursue our own interests for the next few days. As it turns out she ended up almost as high as I did anyway. (For a different perspective, Steph's blog is an interesting read: Steph Over Seas)
We went into town to see what our options are. I booked a trip with a group to do the Santa Cruz trek and Steph chose to do some day trips starting with a horse ride and leaving the rest until she determine how she was coping with the altitude.
As a side note, it was the first time I tried altitude sickness drugs (Diamox). normally I am reticent about taking drugs of any sort, but knowing the small window of time to acclimatize I decided to give them a go. I am impressed.  They work well, though do have a side effect of giving you pins and needles in your hands and feet.
I found a tour group which had the appearance of providing good service and with a quick bit of phone research we found they were also supported with positive comments by attendees via TripAdvisor. The group size was 10 persons including the guides and me so I was happy from that respect ie not too big. Before I knew it, I was on the bus heading into the allure of the high mountains.
The journey seemed to be endless with the hours in the minibus driving on long windy roads. Fortunately the scenery became ever more tantalizing as we became more proximate. The odd flat added some distracting entertainment and also provided a needed break from our prolonged seated position. The views down, within and up the valley form the bus were sublime. I am hoping that Steph took at least a day trip to this area (which she did).
I elected to take my own tent and sleeping gear, though the company was well equipped to provide it.  I have comfort in knowing my gear: it is high quality, is clean and can provide the shelter I need. Being light weight, I am sure the mules appreciated the lower load too. I also pitch the tent myself to ensure no damage occurs through lack of experience that the assistants might have with it. (Something hard learnt on a previous expedition style trip I had). The tent by the way is a Zpacks Hexamid duplex tent, it weighs around 500g, using the trekking poles as support. My poles are Gossamer Gear LT2 carbon fibre weighing 250g for the pair .  Having this light gear makes it much easier for travel overall.
The views along this trek were breathtaking, and physically demanding as we are continuously ascending 2 days to  over 4700 metres. Sublime is a great word to describe the walk - it is like walking in a dream which lasts for days. Every step is a vantage point and one that you want to linger on.
Though I could carry my gear, it is a tough undertaking even with 12kg at these altitudes. The locals earn some much needed money from us and welcome us in their villages.
The small alpine flowers always provide a welcome flutter of beauty. There is some admiration in that burst of energy promoting their life's validity in that pretty shot of colour within the drab surrounds.
Up and over, the high pass is reached too soon. The walk up was hard work, but its all forgotten with the realisation that it's mostly down here on in.
We pass a view of the 'Paramount Pictures icon'. Is it or isn't it ? Like the Coca Cola recipe it is a guarded secret. A good marketing effort based on conjecture: I don't care either way.
I enjoyed being with the group, our dynamic worked well. We had good conversation and most of us liked the odd card game. The weather was on our side and the views amazing all the way. The trekking company provided us with good food and support including portable toilets for hygiene / environment consideration. We had one annoying drone pilot - a guide - from another trekking group. Fortunately we were able to distance ourselves most of the time and eventually he got the message that others want and should be able to enjoy peace in this sublime area without being annoyed by the buzzing of a drone. I am glad Peru is banning them in a lot of parks and public areas.
The Santa Cruz trek, after 4 days out, I am back. I enjoyed the walk and camping, it was great to get away from the city hubbub. A mostly positive experience. Healthwise I did have a headache on day 2 after scaling 4750m and camping at 4200m. To be expected I guess, drugs and our bodies do have their limitations. With the short lead time to acclimate and a lingering cough, and I was probably dehydrated as well - it's quite an unreasonable demand to make and I knew it was a gamble. Happy I am that I added and ticked this off the bucket list. The walk is up there in spectacle with the other alpine treks I've done - a nice condensed package.

Blog Indexes:

Comments